Kvennaskólinn

The Icelandic Textile Center is domiciled in Kvennaskólinn, a historic house owned by the local municipalities and the State. 

It was once home to a Women´s College established in 1879, one of four women’s colleges in Iceland. Women’s colleges offered young Icelandic women the chance of education for the first time by offering traditional school subjects as well as preparation for daily life with classes in handicrafts and cooking. At first, the college was held in local homes in and around Vatnsdalur. From 1893-1901, it was held in a farm school house at Ytri-Ey, located between Blönduós and Skagaströnd.

In 1901, the college was moved to Blönduós to a brand new house built especially as a boarding school. In 1911, this original school house burned down - thankfully, nobody was injured. After the fire, the house was rebuilt and is still standing today, now over 100 years old. The Women's College was closed in 1978, but the house continued to be used for office space and community activities.

Today, the renovated Kvennaskólinn is used for the offices and activities of the Icelandic Textile Center and Textile Residency, the society of Friends of Kvennaskólinn (Vinir Kvennaskólans), as well as other community functions. The embroidery project Vatnsdæla á Refli is located in the building as well as Minjastofur, an exhibition on the history of the school. 

 
 
 
 
IFrame